Please note that this article is designed to provide information only. Read Elements Full Disclaimer here.
Warmer temps, sunshine, and pollen in the air means it’s time for Spring cleaning. This year, with social distancing and stay-at-home directives, we have more time to tackle those cleaning projects that often get overlooked. Plus, because of Coronavirus, we have more reason to give our entire homes a good scrubbing.
The Elements Family truly wants everyone to stay safe and healthy during this uncertain time. So, we’ve put together a checklist to help as you tackle Spring cleaning during Covid-19…
Spring Cleaning: Wash, Launder, Disinfect…
There are items which we always seem to remember to clean and others that get forgotten. Below, we’ve comprised a list of some of the “forgotten” things…
Have you washed…
- Toothbrush holders
- Containers that you refill with sugar, etc.
- Kitchen containers that hold extra snacks, K-cups, etc.
- Vitamin / Medicine holders
- Bathroom containers that hold cotton balls, Q-tips, etc.
- Cups used to rise mouth after brushing teeth
- Coffee Maker
- Water / Tea pitchers in fridge
- Tray(s) inside microwave
Have you laundered…
- All bedding, including sheets, pillowcases, & mattress covers
- Blankets, including throw / decorative blankets
- Hand towels, including decorative ones
- Cloth placemats
- Eye-masks (for sleeping)
- Wrist/back/knee braces
- Cloth purses / bags
- Reusable grocery bags
- Gardening gloves
- Jackets & Coats
Have you disinfected/wiped down…
- All light switches
- Small electronics, including phones, tablets, e-Readers, and iPads
- Laptops, plus their mouse
- Everything with a touchscreen
- Fitbits & Watches
- Door handles
- Cabinet handles
- Oven & Stove buttons / knobs / handles
- Microwave buttons
- Dishwasher buttons & handles
- Washing machine buttons / knobs / handles
- Dryer buttons / knobs / handles
- Toaster oven buttons / knobs / handles
- All small appliance buttons / knobs / handles
- Refrigerator handles
- All furniture knobs / pulls / handles
- Handles / levers / buttons on recliners & theater seating
- Toilet handles / buttons
- All remotes, including those for TVs and fans
- Game controllers for videogames
- Switches / chains to turn lamps & fans on / off
- All faucet handles, including the ones in showers & bathtubs
- Soap & Lotion dispensers
- Laundry baskets
- Yoga mats
- Exercise equipment
- Outside / Patio tables & chairs
- Outdoor grills & kitchen areas
Spring Cleaning with Pets
As of now (beginning of April 2020), there is no scientific evidence that pets can transmit Coronavirus to their human family. (Read more about this here from the AKC.) While cleaning everything else, however, it’s a good time to give some extra attention to the fur babies’ spaces…
Have you cleaned / washed / laundered / disinfected…
- All fur baby’s bedding / blankets / beds / crate pads
- Water & Food bowls
- Crate (especially the handles that you touch daily)
- Containers that hold treats, bones, food, vitamins
- Lunch Box / Dog Mom Bags
A Few More Cleaning Tips…
Another tip to keep your home cleaner (and help your flooring last longer)… Get a pair of shoes/sandals/slippers that you only wear inside the house. Take off your “outside shoes” before entering your home and put on your “house shoes.” And if you have house shoes already, have you washed them recently?
Also, when you get home, make sure to disinfect your sunglasses, keys, wallet, purse, and any pens you’ve used.
And don’t forget about your car! Wipe down those handles, knobs, & buttons!
We hope you’ve found these suggestions helpful. Stay safe!