In our last post, “House Hunting: Are you looking for a unicorn?”, we said one way to get the house you need is to “Stop hunting and build a new, custom home instead.” Now, you’re probably thinking, “Well, of course a design build firm would say that!” While there are positives to designing and building your dream home, it’s definitely not a fairy tale story. There is a lot of work that goes into making your dream home a reality…
Building Your Dream Home . . .
So, the important question is, “How badly do you really want to build your dream home?”
In other words, do you want to build your dream home badly enough to…
- find the right lender (Click here for more info.)
- find and buy the perfect piece of property (For our 5 basic steps to find and buy land, click here.)
- hire the right floor plans designer (Click here to read “How to Find the Right House Plans Designer.”)
- design the perfect floor plans (For our 3 step process, click here.)
- hire the right builder (Click here to read “How to Find the Right Home Builder.)
- worry about staying on budget while building (For our suggestions about how to stay in budget, click here.)
- endure the entire design build process (We outlined 31 Steps to Building Your Dream Home.)
So, how badly do you want to build your dream home?
At this point, you might be thinking, “Well, I’m not sure!” And you are probably surprised that a custom home builder would even ask this question. But we believe in being transparent with our clients. So, in order to be forthcoming, we must admit that designing and building a custom home involves some hassle. But, let’s be honest, moving is a hassle! So, you need to make sure it’s worth it.
What we’ve seen in our 20+ years in the industry is, despite the work it takes to design and build a custom home, there is great joy in the process, as well. The opportunity to build your dream home and allow your family to live the life you want… Well, in our humble opinion, it’s worth the extra effort.
Don’t give up!
So, don’t give up on your dream home! Hurdles will inevitably arise during a project. Rather than abandon your dream because the first piece of property you found wouldn’t work or the initial lender you visited with was less than helpful, find the right home builder who will offer guidance as you navigate the highs and lows of a design build.
If you are ready to take the leap and start the exciting design build process, contact us! We’d love the opportunity to put you in your Element!
Leave A Comment